Current List of Unlicensed Advertisers
Name, Ad Title or (“Fake Company Name”)
Type of Service
|Tim Garrett (Greenville Electrical Services)||874-346-8484||ELEC|
|(GotchaPlumber, GotchaHVAC)||864-325-9939||PLUM, HVAC|
|Oscar or Roberto – (Colecio)||864-347-5543||ELEC, PLUM|
HVAC – HEATING – AIR CONDITIONING – A/C
Harlow – (ALL PLUMBING SERVICES)
|Chris – (After Hours Electrician)||(864) 207-3434||ELEC|
Mr Robinson – Heating ∧ Cooling – Repair – Service – Install
|Tim Porter (180 Services) Cease and Desist Order SC LLR||864-650-4224||HVAC|
SOUTH CAROLINA LICENSING LAWS
- “Residential builder” means one who constructs, superintends, or offers to construct or superintend the construction, repair, improvement, or reimprovement of a residential building or structure…when the cost of the undertaking exceeds $5,000.
- “Residential specialty contractor” means an independent contractor who is not a licensed residential builder, who contracts with a licensed residential builder, general contractor, or individual property owner to do construction work, repairs, improvement, or reimprovement which requires special skills and involves the use of specialized construction trades or craft, when the undertakings exceed $200. Residential specialty contracting includes the following areas of contracting and other areas as the commission may recognize by regulation:
(c) heating and air conditioning installers and repairers;
(d) vinyl and aluminum siding installers;
(e) insulation installers;
(g) floor covering installers;
(h) masons (includes poured concrete work)
(i) dry wall installers;
(k) stucco installers;
(l) painters/wall paperers.”
- “Commercial mechanical construction” means the installation, replacement, or repair of plumbing, heating, air conditioning, process piping, refrigeration, lightning protection equipment, or electrical components, fixtures, or devices of any kind, excluding burglar alarm work.
- “Commercial general contractor” means a person or business which performs or supervises general construction.
RESIDENTIAL BUILDER WORK LIMITATIONS
- A Residential Builder’s license alone is an inadequate qualification for performing Mechanical, Electrical, or Plumbing (MEP) work. Any contractor performing any MEP work which requires a license (> $200 in value) is required to have a current license appropriate for the trade issued by exam from the State of South Carolina. Residential Builders without additional licenses appropriate for the trade are prohibited from performing MEP work valued at greater than $200.00
Residential Work Requiring a SC License or Registration *
For general residential work exceeding $200 but less than $5000, one of the following State of South Carolina certifications or licenses is required:
SC Registered Residential Specialty Contractor
SC Residential Builder License or SC General Contractor License
Local Cities Business Licenses
Note: General Contractors may use unlicensed sub-contractors in residential construction with the exception of Electricians, Plumbers, HVAC contractors, Specialty Glazing, and Specialty Roofing.
For general residential construction over $5000, one of the following State of South Carolina certifications or licenses is required:
SC Residential Builders License or SC General Contractors License
or a Residential Specialty Registration that includes a bond with the Residential Builders Commission as the bond holder.